Sunday 25 March 2012

One Xmas Item A Month


This month my intention was to make a candle mat with matching fabrics from my Tis The Season. I got an early start cutting out diamond templates from feezer paper and ironing them onto the material and cut them out ready to join. When I sat down to stitch this week it just didn't go right. I started by using the English paper pieced method but wasn't happy with my points so I decided to hand piece which I haven't done before and eventually when my seams wouldn't meet I did some un-sewing. Then I had an urge to make hexies ... so as not to waste material I worked out I could make 2 x 1/2" hexies from each diamond and so my candle mat has evolved and has grown thus far ....


I'll be popping by to see what all our clever elves have created for their items this month so leave a comment or an email and your lovely pictures will be added to the page above.

Happy Christmas Sewing and remember no stress. If your item didn't get finished this month it can be an early start for April :)

12 comments:

  1. i love Narelle i love the fabrics.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your hexie flower!
    It will make a beautiful candle mat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to go with the hexies. I think that you can enjoy this one all year round. Don't hide it for the rest of the year.
    Just made it again this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it looks great. Will you make a matching set?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is going to be so pretty.... will be lovely.... I have done mine now.... thanks again for reminding me... and for the motivation
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabric is just beautiful. Looking so lovely. What a great idea for a Christmas gift as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful fabrics Narelle. I need to start some Christmas projects too. It has a habit of creeping up on us so quickly. Tracee xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Narelle. Is it too late to join the One Xmas Item group? I love Christmas and have often thought of trying to make something for it every month but never quite got there.

    If it is still possible to join can you explain how to me please?

    Thanks,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This will make a beautiful candle mat and I love the fabrics . I did post a finish for one item for this month , thanks for hosting Narelle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear that your triangles didn't work out. I am glad that you managed to make use of the fabric and make such a beautiful hexi mat. I have managed to make something for this month - just :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful hexies! Love the colors! I applaud you for realizing that it wasn't going to work and then immediately making something else that does work! In the past I've had the tendency to just tuck it all away somewhere when it doesn't work out. Good for you! I had another Christmas gift completed but can't post it yet. Will post photo & explanation next week!

    ReplyDelete